Monday, November 28, 2011

The high and lows of coming home...

It seems to be such an emotional roller coaster those first few weeks at home. I know that pregnancy hormones play a factor in that, but knowing still doesn't make it any easier.

Here we all are with Piper just a couple hours old
(Our new family of SIX. It makes me laugh to think that we ARE INDEED a family of SIX!) (My kids always look like ragamuffins in hospital pictures...don't feel bad Mom, I'm glad they are happy and taken care of.:))

So here are some of our Highs and Lows of the first few weeks...

High: This was my BEST labor and delivery. I really didn't want an epidural or any drugs. I did it and it felt so good. My contractions were 15 minutes apart all morning, we went in to the doctor at 2:00 to have her check me and I was at a 7. (We didn't go to the hospital first because I thought they would send me home since they were so far apart.) My contractions stayed 15 minutes apart until about 3:30, then 10 minutes apart for a couple. Then my water broke and I was ready to push. I "tried" not to push while waiting for my midwife. My midwife got there and since she was already crowning I gave one push and she was born at 4:00. It was all crazy wonderful.

Low: This is my forth time having stitches. I REALLY hate stiches.

High: Piper easily fell into a 2 1/2 - 3 hour eating schedule and has at least a 5 hour stretch each night and often a 7-8 hour stretch.

Low: Piper thinks its okay to poop like 30 times a day. This bad habit led to an ugly diaper rash for a day, but we have it under control now.

High: Snuggling a cute little person. (Don't you just love when you pick them up and they arch their back and curl their legs up...that really is the best)

Low: Our house feels VERY small now and our other 3 children seem to have much more energy than before which I didn't know was possible.

High: Having so many great friends that fed us for over a week followed by my sister who flew in from California and took care of us for 3 1/3 days AND filled my freezer with meals.

Low: LAUNDRY

High: Having a wonderful husband who has a flexible job and was able to take time off work to help and be with us for a couple of weeks.


(Maybe I should have put a bow on her head if I was going to take a picture of her in her brothers clothes. But who has time for that...remember...we are a family of SIX now.)

3 comments:

Megan said...

I am missing Piper already. She has changed so much. She is so beautiful!

Kristen said...

She is so sweet!

Amanda B. said...

I wanted to mention how awesome Piper's birthday is! I was so crossing my fingers that my little guy would make his big arrival on that day!

Natural labor and delivery?? You are AWESOME!
So sorry about the stitches. Ouch!
What a blessing to have Don home to help.
In the same boat with the laundry. Soooo behind.
And yes, when your little one arches their back and tucks their legs up....it is THE BEST.

Piper is so beautiful and lucky to have such an amazing mom.