Wednesday, September 12, 2007


Communication


Communicating with toddlers is so interesting, isn't it?

Mason has 3 girl cousins that live close to us and he LOVES them. The last couple of times that we have been over there they were painting their nails and he wanted his done as well so they painted his. (Thankfully he did choose green, instead of purple (his favorite color).) I didn't really say much about it then and wondered if I should be the one to tell him that boys don't do that, but thought it didn't really matter and he was excited about it.

So fast forward to this afternoon....one of his cousins came over and brought nail polish with her. We didn't have time to do nails while she was here so she left the polish and I sat down to do the kids nails. First we painted toe nails and I figured I would just have Mason wear shoes instead of flip flops to pre-school tomorrow.
Then he said, "Okay, do my fingers now please."

Me: "Usually only girls paint fingernails."

Mason: "Okay." and he keeps sitting there while I'm doing Kennedy's and I thought, wow, that was easy.

Then...

Mason: "Okay, do mine now."

Me: "Remember, usually only girls paint fingernails"

Mason: "Ya. So can you do mine now?"
Me: "Well, since usually only girls do nails are you sure you want to do yours?"

Mason: "No, you do it."

Me: "So since only girls paint nails you want me to do mine."

Mason: "No, you do mine."

So then it finally clicked. He thought only girls could do the actual applying of the nail polish. I realized I was not wording things the correct way and so what other conclusion was he supposed to draw. I guess I need to work on my communication. His nails are now green. I wonder what the kids are going to say at school tomorrow.

7 comments:

MSB said...

They will think it is cool! They will probably relate it to Shrek in some way. When we were in Hawaii Jeff and his dad painted their toe nails with Livi. They chose green and Livi called them Shrek Toes the whole trip!

LollyGirl said...

Do you know how exciting it is to have blog updates 3 days straight?!!!

Cute story. This happens way to often in our house and usually in more dramatic situations where I don't realize his interpretation until later.

I love all the pictures you've shared recently!

My Three Sons said...

That is funny...sounds like Chase two years ago. The funny thing is that the other day he told me he wished he could have long silky hair like mine...aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa....

Nicole said...

What a cute boy! I love it when they say and understand differently then what we are used to! It really keeps me on my toes!!!

Kim said...

I love it...so funny and true.

Lesley said...

That is great! What a cute boy! I agree, I am loving all this posting! Anyway, funny stuff!

JoAnna Anderson said...

Tara-

Hey, how are you doing? I'm finally back into blogging now-yea! Hope you don't mind, but I added you to my group of friends on here. Your son looks just like you--its crazy! Cute story. I love your blog. Hope we can keep in contact these days. Take care!