Monday, April 14, 2008

THE POINT OF SEPARATION AT COSTCO

Costco can be so traumatic for young kids. You go all through this HUGE store that has tons of fun things, lots of food, and fill your cart to the brim, usually having the kids hold some items, (nothing that they asked for of coarse) and then.....you get up to the front.

The kids start getting a little anxious, they know whats coming. "Mama? Mama? Mama, hold me?" They know that they are going to be pushed onto the other side of the aisle and some strange man or woman is going to touch the cart and talk to them. (When you have 2 kids, you can't hold one and send the other alone, so I just let them suffer together). My kids hated this when they were younger (they are thankfully, fine with it now). They would put their head down and hope that no one talked to them and then when the boxing/bagging lady or man would excitedly say hello, the tears would come. They would sit there in total fear with huge tears streaming down their faces.

Well last week at Costco there was a black guy working. And he had dark, dark black skin and the little girl in his aisle was going crazy. She was so scared and anytime he came even close to the cart this girl would start screaming hysterically. "MAMA, MAMA, MAMA." She was kicking her legs and thrashing around. When he was done filling the cart and pulling the cart around to the end, she was so loud that no one else in the store was making a sound. I felt so bad for the bagger. He was smiling and trying not to look at her, but she would turn around and see if he was still there and scream louder. (Yes, I was trying to act like I wasn't staring just like everyone else in the store, but I totally was, just like everyone else in the store.) Apparently she has never seen a black man before and the line at Costco was not the best place for her first experience. We need more people of different races in our little community.

On another note....be proud my friends, very proud. As I was walking past the camera's at Costco I grabbed one and put it in my cart. No consumer reports reviews (yes, I have an online subscription) with me or anything. I just grabbed it. I was so proud of myself. Hopefully I don't regret it. I just bought the $170 nikon so not a huge deal if I don't like it.

First picture with my new camera. Kennedy did not want her picture taken....

I bribed her with a piece of candy....what a turkey

Does anyone know why sometimes when I upload pictures to my blog you can click on them and make them larger and sometime you can't? This drives me nuts.

8 comments:

Amberly said...

Oh the Costco traumas. I know exactly what you are talking about. Except you left the part out about the mom being so exhausted from the overstimulating warehouse that she is almost too tired to deal with the separation anxiety. In spite of being tired it is so sad to see your kiddo in distress like that, my mommy heart doesn't like it one bit! CUTE Mason hair oh I guess I should say it's cool.

Amberly said...

I forgot - SO PROUD of you for buying a camera!

Megan said...

I am in utter shock that you were able to just pick up a camera and buy it. And to top it off you used it before reading every review just in case you wanted to return it. Maybe you could sense the hours of time I have put into researching cameras and still have yet to buy one. I am so proud of you. But I think your need to research just transfered to me.

The Stars at Night...Deep in the Heart of Texas said...

I can't believe how much Kennedy looks like you@@ I haven't seen her pic in awhile and man she has grown up. Costco and I have a love/hate relationship. I love the stuff they have there and I hate that I can't checkout without it costing me hundreds.

P.S. I like Masons hair too. :)

yennu said...

come on people I'm waiting to hear why some pictures won't expand. I haven't been able to figure out this mystery either. Mason's hair looks very handsome, never buzz off those great curls!!

Anonymous said...

The good news about Costco is that you can always return the camera if you have any issues at all! I love it!

Lesley said...

First of all, I can totally relate on the Costco trauma! Haley has done that a couple of times! Second, Yeah, you got a camera! Very cute picture of your kids! I agree, Kennedy totally looks like you! Third, I am sorry but I don't know about the picture thing, I am not good with computers! Sorry!

Amanda B. said...

I'm totally laughing at your description of the Costco separation anxiety. Leah still cries everytime!

Oh I've been meaning to ask you what double stroller you recommend? I need one ASAP and have been looking around. Do you have a jogger?